Applicants, please send a resume, three references and a letter of interest to email@example.com. We require a current SLED check and TB test.
We do not accept phone calls to inquire about open positions.
EAST POINT ACADEMY
TITLE: Custodian (Housekeeping)
Under regular supervision, performs a variety of basic custodial and grounds-keeping tasks in order to provide a clean and safe environment for students and school personnel. This is a 230-day position. Reports to the Head of School or designee.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
• Inspect school on a regular basis to ensure a safe and desirable condition for learning
• Performs a variety of basic custodial, maintenance and grounds keeping functions, following established regulations and standards for cleanliness and safety. Duties may include, but are not limited to, cleaning restrooms, hallways, classrooms, offices, cafeteria and other areas of the school building; removing trash; sanitizing surfaces; sweeping, vacuuming, mopping, and buffing floors; cleaning windows and walls; moving furniture; dusting; restocking soap and paper towel/tissue dispensers; and removing trash from grounds.
• Arranges furnishings and equipment for the purpose of providing adequate preparation for meetings, classroom activities, and events
• May be required to respond to emergency calls or secure building
• Operates a variety of equipment which may include a floor buffer, carpet cleaner, vacuum, sweeper, wet vac, hand and power tools, cleaning equipment and tools, leaf blower, etc
• Exercises care and safety in the use of equipment and tools required to complete assigned tasks. Interacts and communicates with various groups and individuals, such as the immediate supervisor, co-workers, school staff, students, etc
• Attends in-service training (e.g., instruction on blood-borne pathogens, cleaning solvents, floor care, first aid, etc.) for the purpose of receiving information on new and/or improved procedures
• Performs light maintenance duties, including changing light fixtures, moving furniture, performing minor repairs to equipment, etc
• Lifts up to 30 pounds unassisted and/or 75 pounds assisted, multiple times per day for the purpose of lifting equipment necessary to complete assigned tasks.
• Keep supervisor informed of potential problems or unusual events
• Prepare all required reports and maintain all appropriate records
• Unlocks /secures building and rooms
• Ensure that safety practices are followed
• Performs related duties as required including but not limited to; cleaning and locking up for afterschool events, hallway and classroom floor maintenance.
GENERAL JOB FUNCTIONS
• Is punctual and maintains regular attendance
• Has the ability to plan, organize and prioritize daily assignments and work activities
• Maintains a clean and orderly work environment
• Assists in upholding and enforcing school rules, administrative regulations, and board policies
• Keeps abreast of changes in school policies and students’ needs and interests
• Participates in school staff development programs as assigned by the Head of School
• Interacts and communicates with various groups and individuals (such as parents, staff, students, school administrators, service providers and the general public)
• Performs routine administrative/office tasks as required, including but not limited to preparing reports and correspondences, copying and filing documents, answering the telephone, sending and receiving faxes and emails, entering and retrieving computer data, etc.
• Recognizes and follows the appropriate procedures in the “chain of command” as designated by board policies and/or administrative procedures
• Presents a positive image of East Point Academy at all times
• Willingly performs other related duties as assigned
Education and Experience
Requires a high school diploma or GED with a minimum of six months experience in custodial, building maintenance or general labor.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS OR STANDARDS REQUIRED TO PERFORM ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
• Knowledge of the methods, policies, procedures and activities of East Point Academy which pertain to the specific duties and responsibilities of the position
• Knowledge of the records, forms and reports which must be prepared and maintained
• Knowledge of the laws, ordinances, standards and safety precautions pertaining to the specific duties of the position
• Knowledge of proper maintenance of equipment, materials and supplies used in daily activities
• Ability to deal with people beyond giving and receiving instruction
• Ability to operate general office equipment in the performance of daily activities
• Ability to effectively communicate activities of the job using the mechanics of standard English
• Maintains an enthusiastic, self-reliant and self-starting approach to meeting job functions
• Ability to follow oral and written instructions
• Strives to anticipate work to be accomplished and initiates proper and acceptable actions for the completion of work with a minimum of supervision and instruction
• Conducts duties in a school environment with some exposure to environmental conditions
• Requires ability to work under a degree of stress related to duties that require constant attention and working with students
• Physical demands include walking or standing and lifting/moving of items related to the job on a recurring basis
• Responsible for completing assigned work within the deadlines in accordance with directives, policy, standards and prescribed procedures
• Responsible for attending and remaining at work regularly and adheres to policies and procedures regarding attendance, absenteeism and tardiness, providing adequate notice to administration with respect to vacation time and leave requests
• Closed-toe and closed-back shoes that provide support and safety to staff members. Shoes should also provide slip resistant bottom to reduce risk of fall and/or injury. Tennis shoes or boots are recommended.
• Clothing that allows custodian to move and bend as necessary to complete job.
This job description is not intended as an employment agreement or contract. Job duties may be altered at the discretion of the Head of School at any time without notice.
TITLE: PUBLIC INFORMATION COORDINATOR
Under direct supervision of the Chief Business Officer; assists with the coordination and
implementation of a marketing and communications plan for East Point Academy. This position
includes providing support and expertise in all aspects of public information and community
relations. Responsibilities include but are not limited to preparing information for news media,
sending information using various electronic and social media, event planning and execution,
preparation of East Point Academy presentations and responding to requests from the public.
This is a 232 day position. Reports to the Chief Business officer and Head of School.
• Coordinates the East Point Academy’s social media initiatives including content on
the East Point Academy’s website, monitoring and advising school leaders on school
website content, Facebook content, twitter posts and information posts any new social
media delivery systems.
• Researches, writes and edits news releases and other news copy.
• Writes scripts and creates slides shows for various presentations and programs.
• Prepares memos, letters and other official correspondence.
• Photographs East Point Academy activities and events for use in various East Point
Academy publications and media releases.
• Provides creative ideas and concepts to improve the EPA Brand and keep the public
• Represents the Public Information office on various committees, teams and working
groups as assigned.
• Attends meetings, training, conferences, workshops, etc., as appropriate to enhance
job knowledge and skills. Attends East Point Academy School Board meetings as
directed by the Chief Business Officer or Head of School.
• Assists in planning, coordinating and executing various East Point Academy-wide special
• Plans, directs and executes the school’s two signature events, the Moonfest (September)
and Chinese New Year Celebration and Auction (February).
• Provides input for the East Point Academy marketing and communications plan.
• Operates a variety of equipment such as a computer, printer, copier, telephone,
camera, audio-visual equipment, etc.
• Assists in S.C. Freedom of Information Act responses.
• Interacts and communicates as directed with various groups and individuals including
East Point Academy staff, school administrators and staff, Board members, State
Department of Education personnel, elected officials, news media, business/community
leaders, various councils and committees, County and municipal personnel, personnel of
other school districts, vendors, students, parents and the general public.
GENERAL JOB FUNCTIONS
• Assists in setting up for various meetings.
• Performs routine administrative/office tasks as required, including but not limited to
preparing reports and correspondence, copying and filing documents, answering the
telephone, sending and receiving faxes, entering and retrieving computer data, etc.
• Performs related duties as required.
Education and Experience
Requires a Bachelor’s degree in journalism, public relations, English, education or other relevant
field or any combination of experience and training to qualify. Must possess a valid state driver’s
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS OR STANDARDS REQUIRED TO PERFORM
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
• Physical Requirements: Requires light work that involves walking or standing some
of the time and involves exerting up to 20 pounds of force on a recurring basis, or
skill, adeptness and speed in the use of fingers, hands or limbs on repetitive operation
of mechanical or electronic office or shop machines or tools within moderate
tolerances or limits of accuracy.
• Data Conception: Requires the ability to compare and/or judge the readily
observable functional, structural or compositional characteristics (whether similar to
or divergent from obvious standards) of data, people or things.
• Interpersonal Communications: Requires the ability of speaking and/or signaling
people to convey or exchange information. Includes giving assignments and/or
directions to co-workers and volunteers and receiving assignments and/or direction
• Language Ability: Requires ability to read a variety of professional reports and
documentation, policy and procedure manuals, dictionaries, etc. Requires the ability
to prepare general reports, presentation materials, correspondence, news articles,
publication copy, etc., with proper format, punctuation, spelling and grammar, using
all parts of speech. Requires the ability to speak with and before others with poise,
voice control and confidence.
• Intelligence: Requires the ability to apply principles of logical thinking to define
problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions; to deal with several
abstract and concrete variables. Requires the ability to apply influence systems in
coordinating programs and affecting public perception of East Point Academy
programs and issues; to learn and understand relatively complex principles and
techniques; to make independent judgments in absence of supervision; to acquire
knowledge of topics related to primary occupation. Must have the ability to
comprehend and interpret received information.
• Verbal Aptitude: Requires the ability to record and deliver information, to explain
procedures, to follow and give verbal and written instructions; to use persuasive
language in spoken and written form; to teach employees. Must be able to
communicate effectively and efficiently with persons of varying educational/cultural
backgrounds and in a variety of technical and/or professional languages including
budgeting, public relations, journalism, marketing, publication production, graphics,
• Numerical Aptitude: Requires the ability to add and subtract totals, to multiply and
divide, to determine percentages and decimals and to determine time. Must be able to
analyze data and use practical applications of statistics.
• Form/Spatial Aptitude: Requires the ability to inspect items for proper length, width
and shape; to identify creative mixes and matches as in publication design, and
visually read various information.
• Motor Coordination: Requires the ability to coordinate hands and eyes using office
• Manual Dexterity: Requires the ability to handle a variety of items, keyboards,
office equipment, control knobs, buttons, switches, catches, graphics instruments and
equipment, etc. Must have minimal levels of eye/hand/foot coordination.
• Color Discrimination: Requires the ability to differentiate colors and shades of color.
• Interpersonal Temperament: Requires the ability to deal with people beyond giving
and receiving instructions. Must be adaptable to performing under moderate stress
when confronted with emergency situations or tight deadlines. The worker may be
subject to tension as a regular, consistent part of the job.
• Physical Communications: Requires the ability to talk and hear: (talking, expressing or
• exchanging ideas by means of spoken words; hearing: perceiving nature of sounds by
• Knowledge of Job: Has knowledge of the methods, procedures and policies of East
Point Academy as they pertain to the performance of duties of the Public Information
Specialist. Has knowledge of the of East Point Academy. Is knowledgeable in the
laws, ordinances, standards and regulations pertaining to the specific duties and
responsibilities of the position. Is able to make sound, educated decisions with
minimal guidance. Has the ability to help plan and develop daily, short- and longterm goals related to East Point Academy’s purpose. Is able to take the initiative to
complete the duties of the position without constant direct supervision. Has the ability
to plan, organize and prioritize daily assignments and work activities. Has knowledge
in the areas of public / media relations, social media, journalism, marketing, customer
service, etc.. Has the ability to offer instruction and advice to co-workers regarding
communications methods and related policies. Is able to read and interpret complex
materials pertaining to the responsibilities of the job. Is able to assemble and analyze
information and make written reports and records in a concise, clear and effective
manner. Has knowledge of the terminology and various professional languages used
within the department. Has excellent knowledge of and skill in the use of proper
English usage, grammar, punctuation and spelling; has the mathematical ability to
handle required calculations. Has knowledge of and is able to use modern office
practices and equipment; is able to effectively use computers for word and data
processing and records management. Is able to produce quality work despite the
stress of deadlines. Knows how to maintain effective relationships with personnel of
other departments, professionals and members of the public through contact and
cooperation. Knows how to make public presentations with confidence and
professionalism. Knows how to react calmly and quickly in emergency situations.
Has the ability to learn and utilize new skills and information to improve job
performance and efficiency.
• Quality of Work: Maintains high standards of accuracy in exercising duties and
responsibilities. Exercises immediate remedial action to correct any quality
deficiencies that occur in areas of responsibility. Maintains high quality
communication and interaction with internal and external entities with whom the
• Quantity of Work : Performs described Essential Functions and related assignments
efficiently and effectively in order to produce quantity of work which consistently
meets established standards and expectations.
• Dependability: Assumes responsibility for completing assigned work. Completes
assigned work within deadlines in accordance with directives, policy, standards and
prescribed procedures. Maintains accountability for assigned responsibilities in the
technical, human and conceptual areas.
• Attendance: Attends and remains at work regularly and adheres to policies and
procedures regarding absenteeism and tardiness. Provides adequate notice to higher
management with respect to vacation time and leave requests.
• Initiative and Enthusiasm: Maintains an enthusiastic, self-reliant and self-starting
approach to meet job responsibilities and accountabilities. Strives to anticipate work
to be accomplished, and initiates proper and acceptable action for the completion of
work with a minimum of supervision and instruction.
• Judgment: Exercises analytical judgment in areas of responsibility. Identifies issues
or situations as they occur and specifies decision objectives. Identifies or assists in
identifying alternative solutions to issues or situations. Implements decisions in
accordance with prescribed and effective policies and procedures and with a
minimum of errors. Seeks expert or experienced advice where appropriate and
researches issues, situations and alternatives before exercising judgment.
• Cooperation: Accepts supervisory instruction and direction and strives to meet the
goals and objectives of same. Questions such instruction and direction when
clarification of results or consequences are justified, i.e., poor communications,
variance with established policies or procedures, etc. Offers suggestions and
recommendations to encourage and improve cooperation intra- and interdepartmentally.
• Relationships with Others: Shares knowledge with supervisors and co-workers for
mutual benefit. Contributes to maintaining high morale among all employees.
Develops and maintains cooperative and courteous relationships inter- and intradepartmentally, and with external entities with whom the position interacts. Tactfully
and effectively handles requests, suggestions and complaints in order to established
and maintain good will. Emphasizes the importance of maintaining a positive image.
• Coordination of Work: Plans and organizes daily work routine. Establishes
priorities for the completion of work in accordance with sound time-management
methodology. Avoids duplication of effort. Estimates expected time of completion of
work elements and establishes a personal schedule accordingly. Attends required
meetings, planning sessions and discussions on time. Implements work activity in
accordance with priorities and estimated schedules.
• Safety and Housekeeping: Adheres to all established safety and housekeeping standards.
• Ensures such standards are not violated.
This job description is not intended as an employment agreement or contract. Job duties may be
altered at the discretion of the Head of School at any time without notice.
Email tmiller@east pointsc.org for more information.