East Point Academy School Health Services offers students, faculty and staff access to health screenings, referrals and follow-up. School nurses provide assessments of acute injuries/illnesses and chronic condition management during the school day, as well as administer prescribed medications and medical treatments. School nurses also promote health and wellness education.
The primary role of the school nurse is to support student learning. The nurse accomplishes this by implementing strategies that promote student and staff health and safety. The nurse takes a leadership role in serving as the coordinator of all school health programs in the following manner:
- Health Services -- serves as the coordinator of the health services program and provides nursing care
- Health Education -- provides health education to students, staff and parents
- Healthy Environment -- identifies health and safety concerns in the school environment and promotes a nurturing social environment
- Nutritional Services -- supports healthy food services programs
- Physical Education/Activity -- promotes healthy physical education, sports policies and practices
- Counseling -- provides health counseling, assesses mental health needs, provides interventions and refers students to appropriate school staff or community agencies
- Parent/Community Involvement -- promotes community involvement in assuring a healthy school, serves as school liaison to a health advisory committee.
- Staff Wellness -- provides health education and counseling, promote healthy activities and environment for school staff
Please read the following first (check FAQ for more information):
The school is open for students from all ethnic backgrounds, knowing Chinese is not required.
East Point Academy will accept 3 year-old pre-school*,4 and 5 year old Kindergartens**, First grade thru Fourth grade this year.
To apply, students must be at least 5 years old by 9/1/2013; however, students who are nearly 5 years old by 9/1/2013 may attend on a tuition basis.
As a state approved charter school, East Point Academy may accept students from any school district attendance zone in South Carolina.
Parents will be expected to provide transportation. School hours are 8:30 AM to 3:00 PM. Students may be dropped off beginning at 7:30 AM. An After School Program will be available until 6:00 PM.
All students will have both grade level teachers as their instructors during the day. The school day schedule for 5K, 1st and 2nd grades is as follows: (note that times of lunch, recess, related arts, etc. may change based on the grade level; 4K follows a different schedule with no change in teachers, shorter instructional segments and extended rest time of at least 30 minutes)
Students are assigned to a teacher for a short homeroom of 15 minutes where they will review character ed two days a week and calender math three days per week. Group A will have two hours of ELA instruction with their homeroom teacher providing the instruction. During this time Group B will have 30 minutes of Mandarin direct instruction and 60 minutes of math Mandarin immersion.
SOUTH CAROLINA PUBLIC CHARTER SCHOOL DISTRICT
East Point Academy
ANNUAL NOTICE OF CHILD FIND
(SPECIAL EDUCATION REFERRAL AND EVALUATION PROCEDURES)
Upon request, East Point Academy is required to evaluate a child for eligibility for special education services. A request for evaluation is known as a
referral. When the school receives a referral, the school will appoint an Evaluation Planning team to determine if the child has a disability, and if the child needs special education services. The school locates, identifies, and evaluates all children with disabilities who are enrolled by their parents in schools within the school district.